Wednesday 5 February 2014

My mission is to change the negative perceptions of Africa with my music - Fuse ODG





UK-based Ghanaian Afrobeat singer, Nana Richard Abiona known on stage as Fuse ODG has set his sights on changing the negative perceptions of Africa through his music.

The award winning artiste is currently enjoying huge success with his three smash hit singles, Azonto, Antenna, and Million Pound Girl (Badder Than Bad), enjoying huge rotations across the world.

Speaking in an interview with the BBC, Fuse ODG revealed that he is on a mission to project what he termed "the new Africa" to the world through his music.

He said: "I've always known that I am on a mission to showcase the new Africa to the world so the music is just a vehicle for me to use to spread that message and I'm pretty close to God as well so I feel like the music just naturally comes but the mission is just something that really carries me in a long term."

Currently enjoying massive following through his music, the Afrobeat sensation noted that it is time to let the world know that Africa is not only about poverty and disease and war; the continent equally holds a lot of opportunities.

"Now people are starting to learn, I'm out there screaming This Is New Africa (TINA); that Africa is not all about the negative images; you can actually be successful staying in Africa, you can actually invest in Africa and be successful, [and] you can actually be happy living in Africa," Fuse ODG stressed.

He believes it's about time Africans took action to redeem the image of the continent: "We need to actually do something, we need to actually take action to make sure that the perception does actually change and us being in Africa actually doing something to make sure that Africa is a great place to be."

Already, Fuse has been holding talks with students and the youth urging them to go back to Africa and invest their skills.

"I went to Stanford University to do a talk and I connected with the students as to how we can go back to the continent and invest our skills," the Best African Act award winner at the 2013 Music of Black Origin (MOBO) recounted.

He said: "I feel like our parents left Africa because the home that they had wasn't quite habitable so they came to the UK or they came to another country. It is important to rebuild our homes so they can actually go home and just relax.

I feel like it has to be our generation (developing Africa); we've gained skills from the UK, the US..."

0 comments:

Post a Comment